Faster and Smarter

Yesterday marked 30 weeks from my next big adventure…Ironman Chattanooga.  The training plan I’m using, Be Ironfit, is a 30 week plan, consisting of 10 weeks base phase, 10 weeks build, and 10 weeks peak. Last year I was scared to death of what the next 30 weeks would hold, leading up to the start of training for Ironman Louisville. This year, I’m READY.

I’ve found that I love training-I love the structure, discipline, routine. I love seeing how much I’ve progressed over the past year, and how my conditioning is building. This year will be so very different, for many reasons, but the one most on my mind, is that Jason will not be competing with me. I also have very different goals this year. It’s a little bitter sweet. But I know that this year, like last, will be full of adventures, laughs, tears, tan lines, and miles of beautiful countryside.

So quickly…the PLAN. Unlike last year where we started 30 weeks out, this year I started training about  a month early. I am using the 16 week “competitive” Be Ironfit plan to train for Gulf Coast 70.3, where I have goals for a big PR. This PR will require me to sustain my usual swim time in a tough swim, make major gains on the bike, and have one of my best runs to date. After Gulf Coast on May 13th, I’ll switch gears and begin the Be Ironfit “competitive” full plan at week 12 of 30. The training volume will actually decrease slightly, and Jason and I have a 10 day honeymoon in the Virgin Islands booked right after, so I think it will be plenty of time to mentally reset and prepare for Chattanooga! I’m excited to see how breaking the year up like this will work out mentally. And as usual, I am so fortunate to have my training partner by my side. He’s on board for Gulf Coast, and he has two other 70.3s planned this year, so he will likely be doing a lot of my Chattanooga training by my side (or slightly ahead of me!)


Here’s to FASTER and SMARTER in 2017!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tri for Adoption

Gulf Coast 70.3 Goals

At Least I Was Too Busy Worrying About Drowning to Think About Sharks, a Gulf Coast Pre Race Report